The planning and construction of the “Neudegger Temple” were financed privately; the property on Neudeggergasse came from the estate of Moritz Königswarter, who had generously supported the construction of the City Temple long before that. In 1897, the architect Max Fleischer was entrusted with the work for the synagogue in Josefstadt. However, it took six years until construction began, because the application had to pass through all official authorities several times. The Ringtheater fire in 1881 had made them more cautious. The fact that it first had to be clarified that a synagogue is not a theater naturally did not speed up the process. Finally, the administrative court determined that a synagogue was actually not a theater and construction could begin. The foundation stone was laid in February 1903, and the synagogue officially opened six months later.